I was first introduced to this “Sweet Vegetable” broth in 1997 when I studied at the International School of Shiatsu. This is a macrobiotic remedy to help when detoxing from sugar. It really reduces sugar cravings while the body releases and detoxifies.
Sweet Vegetable Drink
- Butternut Squash (or Pumpkin)
- Green cabbage
Cut equal amounts of all 4 vegetables into 1/2 inch pieces. Add 4 times the amount of water to a pot. Bring to a boil, reduce flame, simmer 15-20 minutes. Strain and drink 1-2 cups daily. The broth can be stored in glass jars in the refrigerator for several days. Simply bring to boil to reheat and enjoy!
In Traditional Chinese Medicine emotional health is the ability to feel all the emotions. If you feel stuck in one emotion, my goal is to help you create movement internally.
7 ways you can mind, move and mend your mood:
- Stop whatever you are doing. Close your eyes. Imagine the most beautiful person, place or thing you can summon. Breathe in that image . . . deep into your lungs, and, as you exhale let go of any dark thick yuckiness, on the next inhale fill that space with a clear fluffy white color. Repeat 3 times.
- Get up from your seat. With your fists, invigorate your body by gently hitting your buttocks and down the backs of your legs with moderate force. Do this punching technique for 1 minutes. Sit back down. Notice if your lower body feels different.
- Change IT up! If you usually drive to work, park further away and walk the last 5 minutes. If take the subway to work, ride your bike or brisk walk instead. If you normally buy lunch, bring lunch. Change something that increases your activity level on the way to or from the workplace.
- Be mindful of your diet and how it makes you feel. Keep a little notebook in your pocket (or use the notes on your phone) and record how you feel before breakfast, what you eat, and how you feel after. Choose foods that have proven to elevate your state of being and avoid foods that leave you feeling low and empty.
- Reach out to friends and family members. Plan fun social events that require you to do and experience new things. It’s time to move out of your comfort zone into something unfamiliar.
- Just like snakes shed their skin in times of renewal, you can renew yourself and help to exfoliate your skin by gently and briskly rubbing a wet washcloth with a little sea salt and olive oil on your body. This will increase circulation and leave you with a refreshed feeling.
- Go somewhere you have never been. Is there a specific destination that you have wanted to visit but still have not gone? Well, now is the time! Set the date and time and GO!
A few local suggestions for #7
New York City
- Check out the Irish Hunger Memorial in Battery Park
- The pond at the entrance to Central Park at 86th and 5th Ave
- The Staten Island Ferry across the Hudson River to say hello to the Statue of Liberty.
- Pt. Dume Bluffs hiking trail, look down into the ocean at the top to have a peak at many sea lions, dolphins and if you are lucky … a whale!
- Park at Saddle Peak overlook and take a stroll out to a 360 view with little effort in less than a half hour!
- Check out Eagle Rock in Topanga State Park (no dogs allowed, sorry pups!) And if you are feeling really adventurous keep going to Temescal Peak.